Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I will miss you, Grandmom Lee

When I think of Grandmom Lee, I think of the word "respite." She taught me that word when I was maybe 10 or so, and said whenever I needed it, I could come to her and she would be my respite, my peaceful break from life.
I remember her house, and how she always saved milk tops, and meat trays, and rubber bands. I remember every room of the house in Plymouth Meeting vividly.
As a cook, alot of my memories are wrapped around meals, and some of my favorite childhood memories take place in Grandmoms kitchen and dining room, where the menu rarely fluctuated- halved grapefruit with a cherry, salad in those wooden bowls, with a whole onion for grandpop, barley soup, and, as we used to joke about, some type of"meat," Living around so much of my husbands family now, and watching all my nieces put o plays and sing for the adults, I yearn to be back in grandmoms house with all of my aunts, uncles and cousins.
I remember going to plymar with grandmom, and how she used to watch me endlessly on the slides and the diving boards. I remember laughing in the showers with her in the locker room, jumping out of the spray when someone flushed the toilet.
It is bittersweet for me that I live so far away, and have not seen grandmom for many years. The memories i have of her will always be when she was younger, of walking in the wissahicon, and swimming laps.
I wish she had gotten to meet my Sam, as I was her first grandchild,he is her first great grandchild, and I know she would have made him feel as special as she did her Meri Day.
I love you, grandmom. Thank you for giving me a love of books, and a love of writing, and for always making me feel special and peaceful. I hope you are at peace, now.

No comments: