Wednesday, January 16, 2008

I am a Vegan Culinary Genius

So I was watching Alton Browns' "Good Eats" the other day, and he was messing around with wonton skins. I enjoy a good potsticker, but how to replicate at home for picky vegan husband? Genius- soy sausage instead of pork!!
To make these you will need:
1 tube of vaguely disturbing soy sausage crumbles, "gimme lean" by lightlife is the brand I used
a few teaspoons of chopped ginger, garlic, and serrano peppers
minced green onions (I omitted these for Brian but the next time I make them I will add them
saute all of that in vegetable oil, sesame oil and red chili oil
add soy sauce, white or rice vinegar, and a pinch of sugar to taste.
Cool this mixture, and then put it by scant teaspoons in wonton skins. I experimented with shapes, Ill post pictures after I fry them in 360 degree oil for 5 minutes!
serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
I am making these, along with edamole (guacamole like substance made with edamame instead of avocado from a recipe in Cooking Light Magazine,) crudites and velveeta cheese dip (!!, right? ) for the Blazers- Celtics game that me, Jeff, Brian, Justen and Sam will be watching later. I know the game started at 4:30, but due to the oft lauded wonders of DVR game time is 6:30.
Cheers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your so cute when you talk food!