Friday, November 2, 2007

My favorite time of year..

So it is my favorite time of year. It is when I get all of the cooking magazines' holiday issues, and pore over them looking for spectacular things to make for Thanksgiving, and then end up deciding to go to my old standby, Martha Stewart. This woman has never failed me, not once. I started making every dish from her cookbooks the year she was incarcerated because I felt bad that she was not cooking for herself, and wanted to commiserate, and everything turned out so well that I have been using them for years. But then again, how can a turkey that calls for a pound of butter and a bottle of wine not be miraculous.
One thing I have never done that all the magazines say you should do is brine my turkey. I figure the ones I buy at the grocery store are already injected with all sorts of saline as it is so it would not matter. One year I sprung for an organic, free range turkey from New Seasons, and along with costing me $30 it was kind of dry, so maybe I should have brined that.
Sadness, though, this year in that Thanksgiving dinner will be provided by Fred Meyer or the like, because I will either be too pregnant to get close to the stove, or have a tiny tiny infant. I do not like to relinquish thanksgiving duties to anyone else, so i will probably try to make a few things in advance and fit them in the rapidly filling freezer.
Usually for thanksgiving I cook for 3 days. I make cranberry sauce, which only I eat, and I love it so I make a ton, Sweet potatoes (the kind with marshmallows, I tried something more upscale one year to great protest), mashed potatoes, Brussels sprouts (for my dad!), Stuffing, creamed onions, the turkey and usually 3 pies. I also make some appetizers especially the pastry wrapped baked brie for Mary Ellen that tastes so good but kind of hurts the next day. So you can see how Freddies has some hard shoes to fill. Also this year I guess I need to make Tofurkey.

2 comments:

Pamela said...

Mom, Erin and I usually brine. I don't know about Janet, BG, Lisa or Jenn. I didn't make turkey last year and I'm skipping it again. Since it's only 3 of us I like to try other labor intensive recipes that I've never tried before. Last year I made pasta by hand and served it with Prosciutto, leeks and garlic. I would love the brie and pastry recipe -- I was just telling Bob yesterday that we needed one of those.

Justen said...

Last year my cousin Laura had a tofurkey, and she seriously contemplated eating the real thing with the rest of my family. This year she's having veggie sausages.