Friday, October 5, 2007

I'm so glad I used paper plates...

We had a really nice birthday party for Jeff last night, though I am glad I used paper plates because after 6 hours of cooking I was exhausted and the thought of doing one more dish then absolutely necessary was horrifying. The guests included Jeff's' boss Bob and his wife Marge, His co-worker Brian and girlfriend Judy, Pam and Bob and my friend Brian. Jeff wanted a Mexican fiesta, so that's what he got! I made marinated flank steak fajitas, black beans with chili cornbread, Mexican rice, guacamole, and many little bowls of condiments. And of course yummy soy faux meat crumbles for my beloved. I am thrilled because everyone ate a lot, and I had enough leftovers for Jeff to have lunch today, but for nothing to hang out and get lost in the refrigerator. Perfect!
And my record player birthday cake!! I was thrilled with the way it turned out. However what it taught me is that I have to re-assess my goal of becoming a maverick cake decorator this winter, because I really lack the patience it takes to make a crumb coat, refrigerate layers, and all in all take my time. So I am glad I did not win any of the decorating stuff that I bid for on e-bay.
And everyone was gone by 9:45 so I could go to sleep! Now that's what I call a rousing success.
I am excited to have a quiet night alone with Jeff tonight, though. We have been running around, it seems, all week. So tonight it will be silence and TV!! I can hardly wait.
I did the best I could taking pictures of the cake etc. on my phone, but check out Pam's blog today, her's will probably be better, and include the birthday boy.
http://www.pamrentz.com/ for those of you who don't know. You can skip looking at the Def Leppard concert pictures, though, because I look horrible and also seem to be doing something weird with my hands.

No comments: