Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Birth Art

So we started birthing classes last night. They are entitled "Birthing From Within", and for the most part, I think that they will be instructional and will help me deal with my feelings/emotions surrounding birth. I guess because the class is a safe environment, I can't really discuss the people in my class, you know, cause my blog is read by so many folks. We started off with my biggest fear- drawing our vision of what our strongest image of birth is. I have no artistic aptitude for drawing of any kind. I write, I cook, whatever, but I hardly even doodle so this was scary, especially because the instructions were so vague. Plus being in a strange group with unfamiliar people got all my anxieties out; I was close to tears the whole class.
We had an option of drawing on a big sheet of paper or in our keepsake journal. Everyone chose the paper except me. I guess if I am going to do something like that, not only did I want to start off small, but I also want it in a safe, bound place where I know I can show it to Sam eventually. Big pieces of paper tend to get lost in our house. In the book, there was also a place opposite on which to write, for which I was much better suited.
So- my image, which FYI everyone else shared with the group except me, again, strange people, fear of bursting into tears, etc... I drew the ocean in Atlantic City (well, that was what it was supposed to be). When I close my eyes and think of birth, I don't get alot of images except for waves- waves of pain, waves of joy, waves of fear; plus the Atlantic Ocean has always seemed a safe, happy place for me, and I liked the image of being rocked by the surf, minus the medical waste.
We then had to do pain coping exercises that involved gripping ice for a minute at a time. To my surprise (not really) the soothing chanting of the instructor irritated me to no end, what worked was my competitive nature- I pretended I was on Survivor and it was the final immunity challenge. I am not sure how I can translate that to childbirth. Also running song lyrics through my head helped, or recalling passages in my favorite books. (Thanks, photographic memory!!)
So 1 down, 5 to go, and hopefully I'll warm up to these people, cause I really want to make the most of every experience leading up to and including the birth of this child.
I went on Craig's List yesterday, and, lo and behold, there was a trove of rocking chairs!! Good times. So that's taken care of, and also we are going to look at sofa beds this weekend so that I can get rid of that house of horrors couch that i have and get something comfortable and useful for when people come to visit. It will probably still be ugly, though.
Nostrana tonight with Brian, and then, finally, Prison Break!! Jeff is going to see Todd Rungren with his friend Barry. I will write a brief review of this restaraunt tomorrow- it was restaraunt of the year 2 years ago. I am going to Target after work to get a little notebook in which to jot notes (not in necklace form, sorry Pam). So either I will look like a tool in the restaraunt or they will think I am a real critic and bring us free food. Let's all hope for the latter. Cheers!

2 comments:

Pamela said...

1. RE: Drawing. I took a writing class a long, long time ago at a time in my life when I was pathologically shy. It was a big personal growth moment that I even signed up for the class. There was a drawing exercise and I, also, am more comfortable with words than pictures and I also didn't want to share my illustration and the teacher was adamant that I had to share and I was adamant that that wasn't going to happen. She gave me a little talk after class. How sensitive of her.

2. RE: Nostrana. I have been there and thought it was good but not worth all the fuss. Also, it is located next to my yoga studio. If I end up at class tonight I'll look for you guys. I might not make it due to a long story involving my spouse, my mother-in-law and some tickets to a lecture. I'll be interested in your review.

Unknown said...

Meri,
To think of the Atlantic Ocean is a wonderful metaphor for birth.
Remember, if you dive into the waves, or go out far enough so you can glide over them, it's exhilarating. It's only when you freeze and watch it coming at you can it knock you down. We had such wonderful times on the beach in Atlantic City! I remember lying on my blanket while you played in the sand for hours and became brown as a berry! I also never want to share my drawings...it's a story from kindergarten, ask me and I'll tell you. It sounds like these classes will be perfect for you!