Saturday, September 1, 2007

September 1st, 2007

Holy crap its September! I'm anticipating another boring day at work. As I left for work at 5:30 this morning, on the kitchen counter I saw an upside-down jar of raspberry jam. I didn't think much of it, Jeff came home late last night after hanging out with a friend and probably made himself a snack, and at least there weren't many crumbs on the counter (we already had that conversation a few times). However, when I got to work and was putting my hair back, I noticed i was all sticky and covered with seeds!! AARGH! I just had to pause because I looked at my head set and it was coated! I anticipate finding little globs all over for the next few days. And probably I'll be subliminally sticky for the rest of the day. Shoot! I just realized that I now know how to upload pictures from my camera phone, and I should have photographed and posted the evidence. I am sure I will find more, and, knowing my dear husband, the jam jar will be right where he left it when I get home.
i completed the Oregonian Saturday crossword puzzle in less then 10 minutes today. Not to toot my own horn, but that's freaking awesome!
The gentleman who founded Peet's Coffee passed away yesterday. Did you know he helped out with Starbucks in the beginning? Once I left Starbucks, and before I had to stop with the coffee altogether, I frequented Peet's. The FOAM!!! it's like marshmallow fluff- so good! puts Starbucks to serious shame. And the espresso tastes like espresso, and they have vegan scones, and their retail wall isn't full of crapola, and they aren't wasting their time with lame movies and whatever else. Oh well, none of my business anymore.
Did I mention my e-bay addiction? I have had to put it on hold for a while, I was let down a few days ago when what I thought was an Estee Lauder face brightening cream- like the one my sister Amanda gave me which was the best thing ever- it made me literally glow- turned out to be a weird, unflattering lip gloss that is now in a pile of 10,000 other disappointing lip glosses. I really wanted more of that glow lotion. I think Mandi said that it was discontinued, which is a shame. I have some Laura Mercier stuff that allegedly does the same thing, but its too makeup-ey, I have to cut it with a ton of moisturizer, and the other stuff was perfect. However, I have about 5 cookbooks coming from e-bay; none of them were more than $4.00- happy day!! About once every 2 weeks I get in a cooking mode and just want to come home from work and make complicated things, and then I get in a rut and make 2 weeks worth of black bean chili and make Jeff eat that every night- at least its not STICKY!!
I had to take a break after the Samosa episode,which left me covered in flour and in the crankiest mood. They were delicious, as was the chutney that went with them, but a huge pain in the ass to assemble. As usual, I got the idea from a few recipes and then made it up as I went along- except the dough, the recipe for which I followed to a T. I am definitely going to start taking pictures of my successes and posting them ,and the more amusing failures, as well. I was recently very inspired by Amy Sedaris' entertaining book. It was adorable, but it got me thinking that I could and probably have thrown equally excellent parties and have just as many ideas, albeit not photographed by Todd Oldham. So, look for an entertainment link coming soon, as well as a book, movie and music link as soon as I get to that chapter in " blogging for dummies".
Sam is doing fine, he wants a red Slurpee, I will indulge him on my way home.
Peace out.

2 comments:

Pamela said...

My advice on the crumbs thing is to learn to live with it. It's been 11 years. It's changed little. He doesn't do it to drive me crazy, he does it because he doesn't see the crumbs. The crumbs are not part of his consciousness. I focus on his other fine qualities.

RE: cooking. I'm the same way. I'll get in a groove and makes lots of complicated things. Then I hit the wall and get cranky and tired of doing dishes and hosing down the stovetop and we switch to foods that can be thawed and reheated. It's not just the work but the time it takes.

Unknown said...

Meri, I love your writing! Add the links and upload the pictures!
I love you meriday